TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter including salary requirements and resume to [email protected].
Provides strategic and operational leadership to ensure that the mission, goals and objectives of the Chapter are achieved in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Develop and implement the strategic plan in partnership with the board of directors. Provides hands-on leadership of all areas of the Chapter including governance, staff, membership, association and finances. As the spokesperson and face of the Chapter he/she will be an executive who will tell the merit shop industry's story in a credible and passionate way that enhances the business climate and adds value to ABC's members.
- Is responsible for membership growth and retention by providing value and enhanced services to the Chapter.
- Uses various mediums to communicate and drive the value proposition to membership.
- Reaches out to make and cultivate relationships with membership to improve member satisfaction. Proposes, coordinates and presents high-quality and relevant content to membership at events and activities to cultivate member competencies. Researches legislation, data and trends in the industry and interprets implication to members. Recommends best practices.
- Assists with the structure, design, scope, and administration of membership surveys. Analyzes responses and formulates and communicates findings.
- Develops and promotes services for members to insure membership growth, as well as member retention.
- To the extent possible, get to know members and visit members making them aware that the Chapter is available to assist them.
- Involvement in Membership recruitment and retention programs.
- Promotes all aspects of member involvement. Effectively communicate with membership, whether by email, social media and newsletter keeping members informed of Chapter developments, including but not limited to, educational opportunities, social events, public relations and legislative activities.
- Plays the lead role in the implementation of the Chapter’s strategic plan. Monitors progress of objectives delegated to key staff to ensure completion.
- Engages and communicates regularly with the Board of Directors to keep them apprised of progress towards established goals. Provides the board with sufficient internal, economic, legislative & industry updates to enable them to make sound decisions for the Chapter.
- Attends regular and executive board meetings as a matter of business and special meetings as required.
- Researches, proposes and implements changes to policies, by-laws, and programs approved by the Board of Directors that will improve the financial or value position of the Chapter.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with Chapter Officers, Chapter Counsel, committees, task forces, trusts, and all key partners & stakeholders.
- Works in conjunction with the Treasurer and respective Budget & Finance Committee in order to develop annual budgets that reinforce the mission and are financially stable. Collaborates with the Treasurer to assess and improve the financial status of the Association. With the Treasurer, authorizes all invoices, financial statements, and expenses. Reviews and authorizes contracts as approved in the budget or as an ad hoc expenditure approved by the Executive Board.
- Champions an exceptional member service culture by providing staff with the training, technology, equipment, facilities and support to provide cooperative and efficient solutions to members. Proposes recommendations for improvement or purchase to the Board and implements as appropriate.
- Networks with, monitors and/or participates in other industry associations, commissions, professional networks, governmental agencies, legislative bodies, etc. to monitor economic, government, industry and public and private sector activities. Maintains contact with personnel to educate and garner support for industry initiatives impacting Chapter and its members.
- Takes a lead role in Construction industry advocacy issues.
- Strategically involved in political campaigns, PAC, and organizational fundraising.
- As a merit shop advocate, has a solid understanding of the region’s current construction industry environment.
- Collaborates with other ABC chapters and National.
- Manages the Chapter according to the by-laws, Chapter policies, applicable law, and best practices.
- Leads the entire human resources function. Recruits, hires, trains, engages, promotes, coaches, evaluates performance, develops and terminates staff in accordance with Chapter policies and all federal and state labor laws. Evaluates current competencies and performance measures and compensation to develop an effective team. Is responsible for overseeing and budgeting for all compensation and benefits.
- Administers office procedures and employee evaluations.
- Responsible for developing the staff and providing training to the staff to reach their full potential.
- Financial Management including monthly reports to the board.
- Assures payment of dues and submission of reports to ABC National at appointed time.
- Budget preparation and monitoring, including development and implementation of Non- Dues Income.
- Monitors all committee activity through staff reports, constant communications with liaisons and periodic attendance at committee meetings.
- Maintains personnel and board policy manuals.
- Provide quarterly progress reports with reference to the strategic plan and 5-year vision.
- Consults and advises in the selection of Board Members, committee chairpersons, and committee members.
- Maintain Building and Property.
- Participates in all National ABC functions, national board meetings, conventions, leadership conferences, legislative conferences, President conferences and all other activities on a national level in maintaining the stature of the ABC Western Pennsylvania.
- The President will possess a professional background characterized by integrity, initiative, leadership, organizational skills, coalition building and public involvement. Knowledge of the construction industry, the Merit Shop philosophy and political process desired. This position reports to and works for the Board.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for free enterprise system and the merit shop philosophy.
- Innovative, visionary and critical thinker with proven ability to manage day-to-day operations.
- An inspiring and inclusive leadership style with experience in effectively developing teams.
- Understanding of nonprofit accounting, including development of budgets and review of financial statements.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills essential.
- A credible, confident, genuine, humble, positive yet persuasive professional.
- Excellent professional writing skills.
- Strong project management, detail and organizational skill.
- Preferred familiarity with OSHA legislation and requirements.
- A normal office environment without exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise or chemicals or hazardous equipment.
- Regular travel to chapter members and for chapter functions.
- Quarterly national travel for association and industry functions.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.